You were injured in a Wildwood, Florida car accident. You exited I-75 at State Road 44 and you were heading to Leesburg. As you approached the intersection with US 301 the light turned red. You stopped, however, the driver behind you didn't. She hit you in the rear-end and the force of crash caused your vehicle to go into the truck in front of you. You tried to get out of your car after the crash but you were dazed so the paramedics brought you to Villages Regional Medical Center. The emergency room doctor examined you and ordered a CT of your head. After several hours you were released with directions to follow-up with your doctor.
Five steps that you should follow after a Wildwood Car Crash
Unless your in the industry, some of the rules having to deal with car crashes are counter-intuitive and not what you would think. As an example, even though you were not at fault for the accident, your medical expenses will go to your car insurance for payment. Here are five steps that everyone should follow after a car accident:
- Report the accident to law enforcement
- Report the accident to your insurance company even though you weren't at fault
- Go the hospital, urgent care center or your doctor as soon as possible
- Take photos of your vehicle before it is fixed or totaled
- Do not provide a recorded statement to the adverse driver's insurance company, even if you are both insured by the same company.
If you follow these five steps you will help protect your Wildwood car accident claim.
Frequently asked questions after a Wildwood auto accident
- The ER doctor told me to call my family doctor to follow-up after the hospital and my family doctor doesn't see accident cases, where should I go?
- Will my insurance rates go up because my insurance company is paying my medical expenses?
- I was working at the time of the crash, is it a worker's compensation or car accident claim?
- Am I entitled to money for the pain and suffering that I've been going through?
- Do I need to hire a car accident lawyer?
Florida car accident law can be complex
If you are involved in a car accident, there are a number of complexities and traps. You are forced to deal with insurance companies, doctors and hospitals. If health insurance, Medicare or Medicaid paid any of your medical expenses you have the company's right of reimbursement or subrogation to handle. If the other driver was working for a state or federal government agency or program, there are specials rules and procedures that have to be followed.
Because of these issues, it is always prudent to at least speak with a car accident lawyer that handles cases in Wildwood. The attorney will be able to tell you if there are any traps that need to be identified and handled. Just because you speak with a lawyer doesn't mean you have to hire him or her. Even if you do not retain the lawyer, anything that is said during the conference is protected under the attorney-client privilege, which should give you comfort and security.
If you have any questions about your Wildwood Florida car crash, call (352) 267-9168.